Acu-Chiropractic Wellness Center, PA
7 reasons why everyone should be taking Omega 3 Supplements
- Omega 3 is critical for your brain health. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential nutrients needed to maintain mental and physical health. We know that one of them, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), support heart health while the other one, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is a constituent of membranes of nerve cells in the brain and is thought to play an important role in normal brain development and function.
- Omega 3 can help fight inflammation throughout your body. Omega 3 is an effective way to treat inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, according to scientists. It was discovered that a diet high in fish oil is very beneficial, as a key anti-inflammatory fat in humans. Omega 3 is derived from fatty acids found in fish oil.
- Omega-3 can help protect the Elderly Brain. A study in the journal Neurology reported that "older women with the higher levels of omega-3 fats, found in fish oil, had better preservation of their brain as they aged than those with the lower levels,
- Omega-3 benefits your heart health. An Italian study of heart attack survivors found that patients supplementing with Omega 3 markedly reduced their risk of another heart attack, stroke, or death. In a separate study, American medical researchers reported that men who consumed fish once or more every week had a 50 percent lower risk of dying from a sudden cardiac event than do men who eat fish less than once a month.
- Omega-3 can help improve cholesterol/triglyceride levels. Compared to statin medications, fish oil is more efficient in regulating triglyceride levels. Fasting triglyceride levels are a powerful indication of your ability to have healthy lipid profiles, which correlate with your heart health. Studies have shown that Omega 3 fats can be anti-arrhythmic (preventing or counteracting cardiac arrhythmia), anti-thrombotic (prevents thrombosis or a blood clot within a blood vessel), anti-atherosclerotic (preventing fatty deposits and fibrosis of the inner layer of your arteries), and anti-inflammatory
- Omega 3 can help your child's learning and behavior. Previous research has found that children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and related behavior or learning disabilities are more likely to have low Omega 3 fat levels. Omega 3 has such great impact on your brain health – EPA and DHA (the Omega 3 fats) keep the dopamine levels in your brain high, increase neuronal growth in the frontal cortex of your brain, and increase cerebral circulation.
- Omega 3 can help manage the symptoms of SAD’s (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Recent studies suggest that Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil may be helpful in maintaining a healthy emotional balance. It is recommended to get a total of 2,000 - 3,000 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the essential fatty acids found within fish oil, per day to help with mild depression. DHA is found in nerve and brain tissue.